Customizing Print Out

Is there away to customize how the service order sheet prints?  Our techs like to have the slides indicated by verse #.

Comments

• edited April 2011

The only customization is what appears in "Options" in the Print window

• edited April 2011

Crud, I was hoping there was an HTML or XSLT somewhere to modify the layout of the output.  ANy chance that slide name/verse info could be added as an option?

• edited April 2011

Hello,

I am currently working on css support. So you would be able to customize the basics there.... However, work is still in progress and I don't know when I will be finished.

Cheers Cool

• edited April 2011

Hello,

I just added basic CSS support. (revision 1460) The CSS file can be found in the data folder. Note, you need to open the "Service Order Print" dialog before, which then create a default css.

Cheers

Edit: Latest windows build is available: http://openlp.org/files/latest.exe

• edited April 2011

That will help with at least some of it :)  If I'm not mistaken, all the rendering is done via WebKit, i.e. the core of Safari & Chrome right?  Down the road would templates be possible?  I can always hand write the verse #s and with CSS it'll be easy to tweak the layout I'm pretty sure.  Just a thought/question.  I do web design and development, and something like Smarty or Dwoo would make it somewhat easy to do, at least for people like me who have experience using them.

One other question, if I upgrade to this nightly, will it make changes to the database or anything?  Right now, my local system is tied, using Dropbox and Symlinks to the main database @ The church, and I don't want to damage that database.

• edited April 2011

There are no database changes between beta1 and the current version.  It any were introduced we would add a blog entry as a warning.

I am not sure about templating as we would need to intoduce a template engine.  It depends on what you want to do.  If there are common things people want like verse numbers these could be added possibly with an option.

• edited April 2011

Most of what needs to be done, can be done in the CSS, Displaying the Verse/Slide info is the biggest thing layout wise.

Given that we can use CSS to style the printout, that indicates that output is HTML, so you're using a template of sorts anyway, it's just a matter of how the source is marked up.

As I said, I work with Web Layouts, and CSS on a regular basis, so, where can I see the generated source?  I'd like to look at it so I can see what I can control and how.  Some of what I tried, and that the link in the generated CSS shows me, didn't work, like putting borders around the varrious elements.

• edited April 2011

In the print dialog, the "Copy As HTML" button should give you the source.

Just paste this into a text editor.

• edited April 2011

Hello,

the exact way how the html is build is availabe here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openlp-core/openlp/trunk/view/head:/openlp/core/ui/printserviceform.py#L156

Here a html file: http://pastebin.com/AKYXKLy2 (the html the "Copy To Html" gives you is not the same as the html source we generate).

Cheers

EDIT: All options have been enabled.

• edited April 2011

Thanks! That should give me all the stuff I need to play with the layout :) I do think having the slide "name" as an optional column next to it's verse display would be good for at least some tech teams.

This is one of the best parts of working with OpenSource software, finding the info needed fairly quickly when it's not redily available :)

• edited April 2011

I have just committed to trunk some changes which will appear in the next nightly build. Basically it no longer auto-generates a servicePrint.css file (since we foresaw some backward compatibility issues in the future) and this file is now redundant. There are also a few tweaks to the HTML to make some types of customization easier.

A file called service_print.css is now required instead.

Details here: http://wiki.openlp.org/Documentation:Service_Print