unicode support??

I was trying to use this software for malayalam presentation. But I see issues with unicode. Some unicode just takes it but some has issues...

"ശമനം ചെയ്‌വതിനി-ന്നയ്യോ വിളിക്കുന്നു നിന്‍ നാമത്തെ."

You can see that here in the forum it displays fine but not in OpenLP. Hope to see some fix. Thanks and regards, Mathew

Comments

• I checked the sqllite db content, which looks fine
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <song version="1.0"><lyrics><verse type="v" label="1"><![CDATA[
    ശമനം ചെയ്‌വതിനി-ന്നയ്യോ വിളിക്കുന്നു നിന്‍  നാമത്തെ.
    ]]>
  • Does the font you're using in your theme support malayalam characters?
  • My understanding is unicode does not depend on fonts. I am using "Arial". These are some of the character which does not support... "ല്‍, ന്‍ , ന്ന്യ, ര്‍, ള്‍, ള്യ,"
  • You know, fonts are instructions to tell a font rendering engine, how to draw a character on a screen, 
    so the font needs to have support for that language.  If it does not, then it's up to the font rendering engine to come up with something, for example if Malayalam is not supported by font X, but is supported by font Y, then even if you want font X, it overlays those characters with font Y, so that it can render something.  The font mechanism in Gnome is extremely good about this, KDE is also pretty good about this, not sure about Windows.  Some applications like Firefox have their own font rendering mechanism, because they need to be able to make sense of international sites that could have OS unsupported languages in them.
  • edited March 2013
    I use Ubuntu and it is Gnome. In gedit I do not have any issue, but when it comes to OpenLP editor nor I can type unicode Malayalam properly nor it displays properly in presentation mode.