Option for small olz file and local media file with large media

Version of OpenLP
2_4_6
Operating system
Windows 10
We prepare our service files off site and save them in Dropbox. Whenever we have a video to show, the service file grows to included the video, making them unwieldy in Dropbox. We never know if the Dropbox sync will be fast enough over a relatively slow connection. So I normally bring the video on a USB key and load it in just before the service. Herein lies a training problem as we have a number of folks running services who are not comfortable with setting up services. (Once a service file is loaded, they run a service from a numeric keypad that has only the necessary keys)

So I've tried the trick of a custom slide and custom formatting tags {video}filename.m4v{/video} to show the video. It works at home, so will probably work at church.

It might be useful to allow for loading local media as a file reference rather than storing the whole thing in the service file.

My custom formatting tags: {video} is <video width="100%" controls="" autoplay="autoplay"><source src="file:///Users/jamie/Movies/
{/video} is " type="video/mp4" /></video>

It is so great to have the possibility of such 'hacks'

Comments

• @Jamie Hockin - Thanks for sharing! :smile: Can you tell me where I need to add the definition of the custom formatting tags?
  • You actually can make a Lite file. ;)

When you go to save the service file, change the File Type to OSZL. If that option isn't present, then you need to recreate the file from scratch and then save it as an OSZL type file. Note that existing OSZ files cannot be converted to OSZL. 
  • @milon - You are right, if the goal is the one mentioned by Jamie Hockin: "It might be useful to allow for loading local media as a file reference rather than storing the whole thing in the service file."

But the typical USB storage use case would be: Copy the OpenLP service file and all media file into one folder and open the service file right from the USB storage. Would be great if OpenLP would "find" die files without the need to edit the Service file again by readding the media files to correct the stored but now invalide path informations.

OSZL: "title": "video.mp4", "path": "C:/Users/GermanGospel/Videos",

• Agreed, it's not perfect for traveling between PC's unless done by technical users, or else you write a custom script to handle that for you. I'd love it if the paths were relative, and then we'd just need the same folder structure. Fingers crossed!