Thumbnail for video (and more)

1) It will be more helpful if each video added to media manager has a thumbnail, so we can see at a glance what a video will display (just like photos thumbnail)

2) In my church, tag V1, V2, C, etc. added to a song is not very important. What we usually do is just dividing a song lyric into slides, no matter what the tags are. I think it would be nicer if OpenLP has a added feature that allows users to divide a song lyric into slides by easier and faster way (besides by setting verse 1/2/3/etc and clicking Insert). I mean, by a keystroke (Enter, Tab, etc) for example.

3) It will also very helpful if OpenLP can resize image and video to fit (or fill) the projection screen.

Comments

• edited December 2010

1) In principle this can be done but in practice when do you take the image.  After 1 second?  On some videos you get a blank run in.

2) The Verse order is optional and can be left blank if you wish.  All songs could be tagged with a single verse and that would work.  having different division mechanisms would over complicate the code.

3) OpenLP does resize images and videos to fit the screen size within the existing ratios of the images.

• edited December 2010
    Thanks for your fast reply.
    1). I'm stiil not clear, Bro. OpenLP just displays names when I add videos to Media Manager (eg. vid_001.mov, cross.rainbow.145, etc). There's no thumbnails, so I don't know what the content of vid_001.mov is. I think displaying thumbnails is more useful in this case, rather than names only. Is there any configuration I have to do, to make OpenLP displays thumbnails also, not only names?

2) Ah, so I can make slides just by clicking Insert button, ignoring verse order? Ok, thanks Bro. I'll try it.

3). I set my second screen to 800x600. So I have to choose pictures and videos in 4:3 ratio in order to be displayed fullscreen?
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks for your fast reply.
    1). I'm stiil not clear, Bro. OpenLP just displays names when I add videos to Media Manager (eg. vid_001.mov, cross.rainbow.145, etc). There's no thumbnails, so I don't know what the content of vid_001.mov is. I think displaying thumbnails is more useful in this case, rather than names only. Is there any configuration I have to do, to make OpenLP displays thumbnails also, not only names?

2) Ah, so I can make slides just by clicking Insert button, ignoring verse order? Ok, thanks Bro. I'll try it.

3). I set my second screen to 800x600. So I have to choose pictures and videos in 4:3 ratio in order to be displayed fullscreen?
  • edited December 2010

1) We do not have a thumbnail for video so we cannot display it.

3) We make the video full screen and the player works out the aspect to display it.  It honors the video ratios and does not change them.  For pictures we make them as big as we can keeping the aspect ratio correct.

• edited December 2010

Hi wigfranz - the answer to your video clip problem is possibly to rename the clip when inserting it, to something more memorable.   Thumbnails are only appropriate to single images - a video clip is a whole sequence of thumbnails.

Greg

• edited December 2010
    Thanks, Greg. I know a video is sequence of pictures. My point is, it will make us easier to choose a video for background if we know what content of it via thumbnail (picture taken from its first frame, of course, not a whole video). If you run Ubuntu, see the way Nautilus File Browser displaying a video file. It displays thumbnail, rather than icon.
    If it's not applicable, that's fine for me. (Sorry for my poor English).
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks, Greg. I know a video is sequence of pictures. My point is, it will make us easier to choose a video for background if we know what content of it via thumbnail (picture taken from its first frame, of course, not a whole video). If you run Ubuntu, see the way Nautilus File Browser displaying a video file. It displays thumbnail, rather than icon.
    If it's not applicable, that's fine for me. (Sorry for my poor English).
  • edited December 2010

No problem with your English.  It seems OK to me and I was born here (England that is)

Greg