Back to plague you again with a silly problem - but its one that has tripped me up for the last two Sunday's in a row and had me scrambling about in the last few minutes before the service started to fix the problem.
We are now using OLP for all Sunday Services and have OLP installed on our Pastor's home PC and all those of our tech team (all three of us!). In each case I have set up OLP to use an NTFS junction to redirect OLP from the the usual 'Appdata/Roaming/OpenLP/data' folder to a 'data' folder in our shared Dropbox account (obviously all 'data' sub-folders are included as well).
This has worked really well with changes to Themes, Custom Slides and Songs replicating smoothly to all users. However media, and powerpoints are not working well and PPTs in particular are causing a real pain (since we use them more often).
The problem is that if I prep and add in a responsive reading as a ppt/pptx file I obviously first load it into my powerpoint library and click on the 'add to service' button. (All fine). When I save my Service and transfer it (via Dropbox) it opens OK on the main church PC and it shows the right filename at the right point in the service, (I can even click on the expand button and see that there are 5 slides / 9 slides or whatever) - but the PPT will neither preview nor play correctly. (I thought that the service format was supposed to be a self contained file including all PPT files - is this not correct?)
In trying to troubleshoot I thought - OK, lets add the same ppt back into the Powerpoint library on the church PC and that should fix it. But it doesn't. In fact the only fix I can find is to delete it from the service and then 're-add' it back from my local Powerpoint library.
Can someone explain exactly how the Powerpoint library operates? Is there an sqlite file somewhere else that I'm not replicating through Dropbox? If files are already being sync'd, does anyone have any ideas why the ppts are mis-behaving in this way. I have noticed that adding a ppt file to the 'data/powerpoint/' transfers it through Dropbox but again does not lead to it being automatically picked up and added to the powerpoint library within OLP. If OLP simply uses pointers held in its library to access external ppt files then what is the point of this folder?
I am also wondering how this situation might be complicated by the situation where users access PPT/PPTX files directly via the Dropbox folder rather than clicking down each time through appdata -> Roaming -> OpenLP etc. Does relative adddressing within the pointer trip you up ie 'c:/users/MY_USERNAME/Dropbox/ChurchMM/Powerpoint.ppt' versus 'c:/users/CHURCH_PC1/Dropbox/ChurchMM/Powerpoint.ppt' (Though presumably the 'MY_USERNAME' addressing also creeps in to using the longer 'appdata/roaming/openlp' path).
Sorry this is a bit longwinded. I just wanted to clarify the problem as fully as I could. I trust that you can clearly see what I'm wanting to do at any rate.
This is clearly not a big issue. It only becomes a problem when our pastors (helpfully - ) throw in last minute changes to the service on their own withiout understanding this and bork a perfectly working service minutes before it starts. On Sunday last, they did this just before leaving home and then didn't even copy the modified ppt into Dropbox (and they were so unhappy with me when their beautiful ppt refused to play....).
I would expect that re-coding to address this might take some time so any sort of workaround you can suggest in the interim would also be gratefully received.