Is there a Newbie Forum here somewhere?

edited November -1 in General Discussion

I can't tell you how blessed I was to find this software! It looks just like Easy Worship, that I was so familiar with. Unfortunately, for me, using Windows 7 (don't know if that makes a difference), the similarity seems to end with looks. Is there a forum here where new people ask the obvious questions? I don't see anyone addressing the things that are impeding my progress on my first service. I can't manage the backgrounds; I don't know the difference between a theme and a background (I suppose); I can't get my text to land in the middle of the screen; I can't change my font or my font size. Also, the "Optional Split" button?!? I supposed that meant it would break the text into two screens, but I don't see that happening so I guess I don't know what "Optional Split" means. I've tried to find forums where folks are talking about such basic stuff as this, but I'm getting the impression that a lot of you are techies. I'm not. I don't write or read html. (Do I need to do that in order to /use this program?) I'm a musician who loves the Lord and loves leading worship for Celebrate Recovery meetings.

Again, is there a Beginner's forum somewhere that I'm not seeing?

I'm going to wait to post my thanks, until I know how to use the program, because I KNOW I'm going to be incredibly grateful once I learn how to use OpenLP! Thanks.

Don C.

Comments

• edited November 2012

Hello,

Well, you just right here with your questions.

You should read our manual at: http://manual.openlp.org/ . For some of your questions I searched the corresponding chapter in advance.

> I don't see anyone addressing the things that are impeding my progress on my first service.

Check: http://manual.openlp.org/creating_service.html

> I can't manage the backgrounds; I don't know the difference between a theme and a background (I suppose); I can't get my text to land in the middle of the screen

In OpenLP we call this "Themes". How to create new themes? And what are theme levels?

> Also, the "Optional Split" button?!? I supposed that meant it would break the text into two screens, but I don't see that happening so I guess I don't know what "Optional Split" means.

When the text is too long for one slide and you have an "Optional Split" in your text OpenLP will try to split your text there.

If you have more questions try to find answers in the manual, but if you sill need our help you are welcome to ask us.

Regards

• edited November 2012

Hi Don C,

OpenLP was designed indepedently of EasyWorship, and any resemblence is not in purpose. So, when approaching OpenLP, it is important to put aside any previous experience with other software, and try to use OpenLP as though you've never used projection software before.

I think the reason you are unable to figure out how to do some of these things is because you're trying to do them as you would in EasyWorship, and OpenLP doesn't work like that.

In addition to the reference manual, we're in the process of putting together a user guide as well. The user guide is aimed at introducing first time users to OpenLP. We're hoping to have that ready soon after the final release.

Otherwise, just ask your questions in here, and folks will try to answer as best they can.

• edited November 2012
    Hi Don,

You can also checkout some videos on our YouTube playlist.

Just to add, if a verse won't fit on the screen (too much text, or dont size is too big for example) it will automatically be split across two screens. The Optional split can be used to tell OpenLP where to split it. You dont have to use it. (optional)