Hiding/Removing Artist/Song Name

edited January 2013 in General Support
Hello!

I just download this wonderful program a few nights ago, and have spent some time familiarizing myself with the program. I currently use EasyWorship for our church, but needed a program for my Mac that works. So far this has worked great, and absolutely love the program!

With that said, I'm in need of some general help. When I create a new theme, which to my knowledge is the way you just make a background image. I don't want it to show the song name, and the artist name on the bottom left of my screen. I somehow figured it out on my first theme I created, but now I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Also, the images that I am trying to use for the theme background, they are importing full size, so it's showing a black background behind it.  Any tips on that?

Thanks guys! 

John

Comments

• OpenLP does not resize images, so you need to make sure that your background image is the same size as your display monitor. OpenLP also looks at the current display screen ratio to produce the preview thumbnail, but will adjust the theme accordingly when you project it.
  • Thanks for that info! Also, how do I remove the artist name/song name from the theme? I personally don't like it showing up there, so how do I remove that?

Thank you so much! I have a big event this weekend and need it for that.. so any help you can provide would be FABULOUS!

Thanks,

JB
  • Depending on where you live, it may be illegal to remove those credits. In most English-speaking countries (like the USA and the UK), it is legally required to display those details on at least the first slide.

Having said that, if you look around the forums a bit, you'll see that some users have come up with various "solutions".
  • In the United States we are required to have it on either the first or the last. There is even extra ccli licensing that lets you not have it on any slide. One way to get rid of the text would be to have a colored background and change the text of the "Footer" section of the theme to the same color as the background. For us we use black backgrounds and have black texted footers. I feel they should remove the neccesity of having the names and ccli number listed by making it an option like it is in ProPresenter, EasyWorship, and Media Shout.
  • Is there anything on the web from CCLI about this extra licensing option to not display them? 
    If it's legal to do then we will be more open to providing an option. We just don't want to create legal trouble for ourselves which is why up to now we've made it mandatory.
  • "WHAT IS CCLI?
    CCLI is a collection agency that funds its operations, and the salaries of its scores of employees, by deceptively convincing churches that the churches are 'breaking the law' by doing what's necessary to sing songs in worship services.
    CCLI exploits a "grey-area" in national copyright statutes where legislators have wisely left vagueness as to what constitutes "fair use."
    The vagueness is there because no one can draw a definitive line between fair noncommercial uses of music which benefit society, and commercial uses which benefit commercial persons.
    However, in regards to the music use of an average nonprofit church, CCLI's threats are baseless."

Now, I do pay for CCLI because I want to make sure all legal areas of our church our covered :) But this site makes it clear that there is no biblical law or national law limiting the use of not-for-profit businesses to display words benefiting a community rather than benefiting a commercial use like selling or performing.
  • Yeah thanks, but I was hoping for something more official than someones own views on a random blog :)
  • One of the big mega-churches needs to challenge it in the courts. 
  • The issue is, if your paying for a CCLI licence, then your bound by the conditions of that licence,   One of the problems with blogs and editorial opinions (including mine), what is law in one country isn't always law in another even when both countries abide by agreements like the Berne Convention.  I am not a lawyer, and you should consult one who deals with local copyright law, if you really want to know what you can and can not do, legally without copyright permission.  The laws are in a state of flux right now as countries move from the now elderly Berne Convention to more modern treaties. 

I think to challenge this in court, you would need someone a lot bigger then a megachurch, I'm thinking someone the size of The Roman Catholic Church, the publishers would love this, and spend all they had, to get systems like CCLI squashed, so you had to pay big bucks every time you want to display anything.   I doubt it will ever be challenged, because CCLI is a reasonable cost, for a church of 99 people it's about $100 or so a year.  Even a lot of large churches of under 3000 attendees it's only ~$500.  Even an hours consult with a solicitor dealing with copyright law, will cost you more then $500.... 
  • edited January 2013
    The standard statement on fair use is usually something like "copyrighted works to be legally reproduced for purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, classroom teaching, scholarship, and research." Some have tried to fit congregational singing into one of these categories, like teaching, but it doesn't fit there. I think these attempts by churches to claim fair use are completely against the intent of the fair use rules. Profit or non-profit really has nothing to do with it.

Some have also said that a congregation would not need a copyright license like CCLI if they used hymnals and all the musicians used purchased music. That is because they are not making a copy of anything and have received permission with their purchase. (This doesn't include a recording of the service.) However, copyright law grants exclusive rights to the copyright owner to reproduce, make derivatives, etc. of their work and that is a sticking point for churches. As soon as you make a slide for projection you have made a copy and you need to have permission for it unless you can fit it under fair use. The same would be true for a handout. As wogster said, CCLI is a small price to pay. You find that out pretty quickly if you need to get permission for a song that ccli doesn't cover.
  • To sort of drag this back on topic, although to abide by CCLI, you need to have the Artist Name, copyright holder and other information there, there is no minimum font requirement.  You can easily make it a 2pt or 3pt font, dark grey on a black background, it would essentially disappear, but your still abiding by the rules. 

However, sometimes people, particularly visitors, might like to know which version of a hymn your singing, without needing to pick up the hymn book, there are some that have dozens of renditions, especially Christmas music, with the authors and publisher on screen, it's possible to tell.
  • I don't think it's right that a legal issue that affects a couple of countries should force the removal of this option. In my case, most of the song database doesnt have authors. What should I do, just ignore the fact that every slide reads "Author unknown" at the bottom (which by the way is gibberish for most of the audience)?
  • edited January 2013
    It is more than a couple of countries, and those countries are the ones the developers live in. We'd rather stay in CCLI's good books where possible.

What should you do? One option perhaps could be to add the missing authors to your database. 
  • filip, the authors in the database are useful for more then just CCLI.  Sometimes people out in the congregation would like to know who wrote a piece of music, especially if it's one they like, so they can search out other music by the same author. 
  • Yep, add the missing authors to your database. It's a pain but as far as I can tell it's the only legal solution. I still have 200 more songs to go in our church song list and it would make me feel better to know that I'm not wasting my time ;-)

It's also useful to have the information available, and it's only fair to credit the authors. I've even learnt something about the songs we sing. For instance, I was surprised at the relatively small number of authors who wrote most of our songs.