Win7 Laptop - OLP Hangs at Logo

edited March 2013 in Troubleshooting
Hi guys - I'm trying to bring a new team member on to our Multimedia team and he has a fairly new, shiny Dell laptop but which I just cannot get to run OLP at all.

Its a Dell N5110 (i5-2430M (@2.4GHz) processor, 4Gig Ram) running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit edition and he has MS Office 2007 installed and working perfectly on it.

The problem is the OLP installer (v 2.0.1) runs and completes OK but when he then runs OLP we get the splash screen coming up and then everything just hangs.

I have followed the instructions on the website front page and disabled DEP. - No difference.  I have tried editing compatibility settings and running as XP, XP SP1, XP SP2 and SP3, Vista and Win 7 all with and without Administrator privileges but  it makes no difference. I have tried disabling his antivirus (Norton 360) and repeated the various compatibility settings - No change at all. It always hangs at the logo.

Here are the last 20 or so lines from the logfile I get when I start in debug mode. I can provide the full file if that is helpful, but grateful if someone would take a look at this and see if it points to an obvious problem or (better still) a solution .

*********************************************************************************************************

2013-03-07 22:07:22,137 openlp.core.lib                                         DEBUG    check_directory_exists C:\Users\ashdale007\AppData\Roaming\openlp\data
2013-03-07 22:07:22,137 openlp.core.lib                                         DEBUG    check_directory_exists C:\Users\ashdale007\AppData\Roaming\openlp\data\bibles
2013-03-07 22:07:22,167 root                                                    ERROR    Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 44, in <module>
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.core", line 344, in main
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.core", line 150, in run
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.core.ui.mainwindow", line 703, in __init__
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.core.lib.pluginmanager", line 203, in initialise_plugins
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\plugins\bibles\bibleplugin.py", line 57, in initialise
    self.manager = BibleManager(self)
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.plugins.bibles.lib.manager", line 136, in __init__
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.plugins.bibles.lib.manager", line 154, in reload_bibles
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.plugins.bibles.lib.db", line 157, in __init__
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.core.lib.db", line 216, in __init__
  File "D:\OpenLP_Code\release-2.0.1\build\pyi.win32\OpenLP\out00-PYZ.pyz\openlp.core.lib.db", line 99, in upgrade_db
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\schema.py", line 590, in create
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\base.py", line 2302, in _run_visitor
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\base.py", line 1972, in _run_visitor
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\sql\visitors.py", line 106, in traverse_single
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\ddl.py", line 75, in visit_table
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\ddl.py", line 32, in _can_create_table
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\dialects\sqlite\base.py", line 574, in has_table
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\base.py", line 1450, in execute
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\base.py", line 1627, in _execute_text
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\base.py", line 1697, in _execute_context
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\base.py", line 1690, in _execute_context
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\eggs\sqlalchemy-0.7.7-py2.7-win32.egg\sqlalchemy\engine\default.py", line 331, in do_execute
DatabaseError: (DatabaseError) file is encrypted or is not a database u'PRAGMA table_info("metadata")' ()
None

Comments

• Two things:

1. Does it actually hang on the splash screen, or are you seeing a white screen with the OpenLP logo in the middle?

2. You have a corrupted Bible.
  • Raoul.

Re: 1. - It hangs on the large circular OLP logo. Sometime there is a black or white square around the logo but it never gets to OLP opening as a blank window or appearing in the Windows Taskbar.

Re; 2 - I'll check and manually erase all OLP files before reinstalling again.

Thanks

• Can you upload the full log file somewhere, once you've removed the Bibles please?
  • Will do. I have the laptop for a few days to tinker with it and solve the problem so will look at doing this later.
  • edited March 2013
    Raoul

Just to give you an update - and encourage anyone else with a problem to do as you ask and provide debug logs - Following your reading of my log and pointing out that I had a corrupted Bible, tonight I uninstalled OLP on the troublesome laptop and went in to the Appdata/Roaming/.../OLP/datafiles folder and found that after uninstalling there were still a couple of files left behind (including a Bible).

I went 'nuclear' and just deleted the OLP folder and all sub-folders and then reinstalled from a fresh download.

Eureka!! It works perfectly. Not even any need to set any compatability options or to run it as an administrator. It just works!

Thank you so much for your assistance - yet again - and to anyone else reading this - If you are having strange problems getting OLP to run and you've tried installing it a few times before - don't assume that an uninstall will have cleaned everything away - try the nuclear option - it might just get you sorted too!

That's been a successful evening. I'm now off to bed feeling suitably pleased. - God Bless, Guys!
  • What happens is that OpenLP is completely configuration-less when it is installed, and any configuration is created as and when OpenLP needs it (or when you set it as such). Songs, Bibles and other resources are also saved separately, so that if you upgrade to a new version of OpenLP it does not kill your setup (I'd be pretty upset if my 2000 songs suddenly disappeared after an upgrade).

The down side to this is that if you have somehow corrupted something, a re-install WILL NOT HELP. This is why we have an option in the tools menu to open the data directory.