OpenLP can't find LibreOffice on Linux Mint 13 (Maya)

edited January 2014 in Troubleshooting
When I try to import songs into a fresh install of OpenLP 2.0.1, I am
getting the generic message "The xxx importer has been disabled because
OpenLP cannot access OpenOffice or LibreOffice".  I have LibreOffice
installed.

Where is the path to LibreOffice configured?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Have you tried installing python-uno ?
  • edited January 2014
    Hi!

I have the same problem. I have OpenLP 2.0.3 installed on Ubuntu 13.10, with LibreOffice 4.1.3. I have installed python3-uno, but nothing.

I attempted to install simply python-uno, and when I typed in sudo apt-get install python-uno, I got the following error:

Package python-uno is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      libreoffice-script-provider-python

E: Package 'python-uno' has no installation candidate

When I installed the package libreoffice-script-provider-python, I got no improvement.

I assume that has to do with OpenLP's incompativility with LibreOffice 4.x. My assumption is that if the two could be compatible in time for the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release (along with Kubuntu and Lubuntu and the rest) then the community might be able to "sell" other people on OpenLP and free/libre software...

If the developers are already working on this, then I say well done, and feel free to ignore my comments.
  • Unless we release 2.2 by the time Ubuntu 14.04 is release (which is unlikely), OpenLP will not be compatible with LibreOffice for the forseeable future. OpenLP 2.0 is written in Python 2, and LibreOffice only supports Python 3.
  • edited February 2014
    I have the same problem even though I have downgraded to libreoffice 3.5.7.2. I am trying to use openlp 2.04. Should I download openlp to an earlier version as well, or what? I am using mint 16
    mikew
  • Hi Mike

The problem is that in order for OpenLP and LibreOffice/OpenOffice to work together on Linux they must be using the same version of the python package. As Raoul writes the current versions of LibreOffice uses python3, while OpenLP 2.0 uses python2, making them incompatible. The reason your old version of LibreOffice doesn't work with OpenLP is most likely that it contains its own python package, and therefore isn't using the python package used by the rest of the system and OpenLP, which means OpenLP and LibreOffice can't integrate.
    I've searched around a bit myself and unfortunately found no recent build of LibreOffice3 or OpenOffice that will work on newer Linux distros. So you'll have to wait until OpenLP 2.2 is released.
  • Hi, tgc
    Thanks for that. What about if I used an old Mint until OLP v.2.2 comes out. I have been using Mint since version 4! so could probably find an old copy. The laptop I intend to use is solely a vehicle for OpenLP in Church so I have no other compatibility problems.
    Any thoughts that that would work and if so what would be the best fit?
    mike
  • Hmmm.  I was wondering what the problem was.  Python it is.  Gonna have to look into this a little more.  I just like all the features to work.  I'm kinda weird that way.
  • Hi, steelaworkn,
    All help gratefully received. I am a user not a programmer, so most of these things go over my head, but I can follow (simple!!) instructions.
  • Thinking on this more, how different are Python2 and Python3?  Can OLP 2.0 be built under Python3 and work, or does it require extensive modification.   Typically programming languages are backward compatible to a large extent.
  • @mikew:
    Installing an old version of Mint with LibreOffice 3.X might work, though I'm not going to promise anything... But it is probably worth a shot.

The difference is noticeable and porting from python2 to python3 is one of the major points of OpenLP 2.2. 
  • O.K. so I have successfully re-loaded with Mint 10 (OpenOffice 3.2), but cannot get any version of OLP to load. In the main this seems to be because I cannot update Mint 10 because of course it has been superseded by newer versions.
    I do have the ppa in software sources and it does try to load OLP 2.04 but stalls without trying too hard.
    How are other people managing to run OLP if this is the problem?
  • @wogster OpenLP 2.2 (or 2.1 since it's still in development) has already been ported to Python 3. This was a non-trivial step, as Python 3 is not backward compatible.

You are correct, it is a show-stopper, but unfortunately we cannot do anything about it. We are hoping to have a development build of 2.1 by the middle of this year, but with very few active developers this is proving difficult to attain.

@mikew I think Ubuntu 13.04 still had a working version of the "python-uno" package. Make sure you have this package installed.
  • I just did a test run in a virtual machine and I can confirm that it it works with Ubuntu 13.04 if you install python-uno (not python3-uno!). Ubuntu 13.04 ships with LibreOffice 4.0.2.
  • raoul this is turning into a on going nightmare.  I know the current Openlp is only Python 2.  I know there is a lot of focus on getting 2.2 out.   As far as I know this is the only interface issue.

Is it possible to make Libreoffice support a small standalone python 3 program called by the old Openlp 2.0 python 2 base.   Basically a part backport from 2.2.   Smaller section to stabilise.  I know this means using a pipe or equal between the two code bases.   But if it can be done it will take some of the desperation out of the problem.   Missing the means to display powerpoint slide shows is a deal breaker.
  • edited May 2014

Hi, There.

I noticed that a python version difference causes conflict between Libreoffice 4.x and OpenLP2.0.

and we have to wait for OpeonLP 2.2 at the end of the year?!

Curiously the two program go along well in my lubuntu system.

I did like below

1. Install lubuntu 12.04

2. Install Libreoffice 3.5.7 (with Deb package, not apt-get install)

3. OpenLP2.0 (Of course, this combination works fine)

4. Upgrade Libreoffice to 4.2

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I hope this may help some people. Thx~

• sean han ok that is interesting libreoffice/ppa.   Does not contain any python-uno at all.    The result of what you did is python-uno for 3.5.7 interfacing with 4.2 and working.