Multilanguage import from Songbeamer

Hello,

This is my first thread in this forum.

I'm trying out OpenLP, as I would like to use it in future instead of SongBeamer. Currently, I have a few hundred songs in the SongBeamer format. The importer works, but I'm not really satisfied with the results. Many of our songs are in two languages (German + English) and the Importer doesn't handle this well.

Thanks to OpenLP being open source, I fixed this issue this evening and extended the existing SongBeamer importer. And now I'd like to share the results of my work with the community.

This is my very first commit to an open source project and I don't really know how things are going here ;-)
Should I just create a new branch, push it to launchpad and hope that it will be approved? Or is there anything else I should do before proposing a merge?

I hope that my support will be useful for OpenLP and the community :-)

_Lukas

Comments

• Hi Lukas,

Thank you for improving OpenLP and wanting to share! :)
    You can read a bit about how to create a merge request here: http://wiki.openlp.org/Development:Branching_And_Merging_Standards
    Note that to make sure the code actually works, it is required to create tests that proves the new code actually works. Have a look at tests/functional/openlp_plugins/songs/test_songbeamerimport.py where some tests for songbeamer import already exists.
    Also make sure the code conforms to the PEP8 standard, you can use the pep8 tool to check that.
    Feel free to join us in openlps IRC chat-channel if you need help.
  • joejoe
    edited September 15
    Hello, did this come to a good end? I experience the same problem as you, @_lukas so the extention you coded does not seem to be implemented yet. (I just noticed that Lukas is inactive since >2 years. Did he commit, @tgc ?)
  • I don't think we ever got a merge request for this... Since OpenLP does not support multiple languages (not yet at least), it might be a bit tricky to implement in a good way.
  • joejoe
    edited September 18
    Well, there would be one easy way:
    If the Songbeamer file says
    #LangCount=2
    then the verses are split by odd and even and are set not row-by-row, but language by language.
    Example:
    ---
    Vers
    our Father in Heaven
    Vater unser im Himmel
    ---
    Vers
    Hallowed be thy Name
    geheiligt werde dein
    ---
    Refrain
    For thine is the kingdom,