Creating SSL Certificate using OpenSSL on Windows

Firstly, just want to say how brilliant OpenLP is.  We have been using for the last couple of years and it is excellent.  The latest version is also brilliant - I especially like being able to setup DVD clips.

I am trying to setup HTTPS access to secure the control side of the house, but the instructions are based on linux.

echo openlp | openssl genrsa -passout stdin -des3 -out openlp.key 1024
cp openlp.key openlp.key.bak
echo openlp | openssl rsa -passin stdin -in openlp.key.bak -out openlp.key

openssl req -new -key openlp.key -out openlp.csr -config openlp.cnf -batch
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in openlp.csr -signkey openlp.key -out openlp.crt

I managed to get it setup on Windows following this guide:

but am struggling to translate the OpenLP instructions into Windows Commands that will work.

I would be grateful for any guidance.  I am fairly IT literate, but am new to SSL.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Once you've got a .crt and a .key file from following that Windows guide, place them in the "remotes" directory in your data directory. You can get to the data folder by going to the Tools menu and clicking the Open Data Folder option. Restart OpenLP for the SSL certificates to take effect.
  • Thanks raoul.
    So, do I not need to use the openlp.cfg file described in the guidance?  Do I just follow the guide completely at didierstevens.com and then put the resulting files into the folder?
  • The openlp.cfg file is only needed during the certificate generation. It is used as an alternative to manually typing in the various infomation included in the certificate.
  • Sorry for the long time in responding to this. I don't often have the church laptop at home, but we had a PEBCAM I needed to fix, so thought I would have another go.  I created a key and certificate calling them openlp.key and openlp.crt respectively and placed them in the data folder.  I used the default values in the config sample and set UK as country.  I closed and re-opened OpenLP but it still doesn't recognise them.  Am I missing something?  I notice that the guide has slightly different instructions for the key which don't work in Windows OpenSSL so just created according to the guide substituting the name.  Any chance of a step by step guide for Windows for those of us not familiar with SSL?
  • We're actually removing SSL from the remote as it was largely unnecessary and people were more interested in using authentication than making sure they were connecting to the right computer. So my advice is: don't bother.