OpenLP Crashes Ubuntu Studio

I've been using OLP in Windows 10 for some time after using it in Linux before. I just started getting system crashes in Windows, so I decided to install Ubuntu Studio on a spare partition. I used the PPA approach to install OpenLP, and when I run it, it hangs Ubuntu completely. The clock even stops changing.

Lane

Comments

• Hi Lane,
    Which version of UbuntuStudio is this?
    Could you try to run OpenLP in debug to see if it puts some error messages in the log?
  • Thanks for the reply!

Ubuntu Studio 15.10 Wily Werewolf

How do you run OLP in debug mode?

It's been so long since I used Linux for my work, that I forgot some stuff. I see now that when I was using OLP in Linux before, I downloaded the source and just executed openlp.py directly. I think I'll try that with Ubuntu Studio now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lane
  • Thanks for the reply!

Ubuntu Studio 15.10 Wily Werewolf

It's
    been so long since I used Linux for my work, that I forgot some stuff. I
    see now that when I was using OLP in Linux before, I downloaded the
    source and just executed openlp.py directly. I think I'll try that with
    Ubuntu Studio now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Later:
    OK, I have the 2.4 openlp.py running now. I had also forgotten all the
    dependencies that needed to be added. After I got them in, the program
    crashed the system as before. But after rebooting, the program ran
    without crashing. In the terminal, I see there is a complaint about not
    finding a Java Runtime. I'm wondering if it's needed and will try
    working for a while without it.

Lane
  • Even later: OLP did crash the OS after a few mouse clicks, so I rebooted and added the open source JRE. This time there was no missing JRE message in the terminal, but the program still crashed.

I wish I could attach the screenshot, since I was unable to save the output.  Several identical errors were reported:
    defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for "org.qt-project.qt.mediaplayer"

Lane
  • Even Later Yet: After doing a major update of Ubuntu Studio 15.10 Wily Werewolf, the OLP 2.2.1 and 2.4 are working fine. I still get the error:

defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for "org.qt-project.qt.mediaplayer"

But it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Lane
  • The errors you see on the command line actually have nothing to do with OpenLP directly. Some might be from LibreOffice or Qt. OpenLP's own errors will be in its log file.
  • edited March 2016
    Thanks, Raoul. I was wrong in thinking the problem was solved. I'm getting crashes again.

Where is the log file saved?

(I see that I'm running 2.1.6 most recently. I'm going to try the one the PPA provides.)

Later: I upgraded to 2.4.1, and it seemed to start OK. I opened a service file. As I moved the mouse over the entries, the tooltips that popped up were persistent. Then the system hung. I was able to exit X and restart.

Later Still: I remembered in the Settings, there's something about bypassing X11. I think I have that checked, and I was going to uncheck it. But when I clicked "OpenLP Settings" it crashed.

Lane