Linux: 2.4.2 Runs Fine in Lubuntu, Crashes Peppermint

I always have a few Debian-based distros in separate partitions. My current faves are Peppermint and Lubuntu. I'm able to run OpenLP in one system but not the other. In Peppermint it almost always crashes the system, such that I have to type Alt-PrtSc-B to reboot. The mouse cursor moves but doesn't do anything.

I'm running the same OpenLP 2.4.2 source files in both systems because I have /opt as a separate partition serving all distros.

Unfortunately, the crash will occur at different points of using OpenLP. It may be immediately when the program starts or later after carrying out a number of functions.

Any idea what is causing the problem in Peppermint?

Lane

Comments

• Define "crash" -- how does it crash? What are you seeing? Is there an error?
  • Have you looked at the log file? Are you using shared data across the two systems?
  • Thanks for the response, Raoul. By crash, I mean I click something in OpenLP and nothing happens, no error, no nothing. I then observe that clicking anything else does nothing: taskbar items, the main menu won't come up, I can't change the focus to another window.

I can only start computing again by rebooting the system by either a power cycle or, what I actually use, Alt-PrtSc-B.

Which log file do you mean?

Yes, the program source, data files, and service files are the same for both systems.

Lane
  • Log file: https://manual.openlp.org/troubleshooting.html#i-have-been-asked-to-email-a-debug-log-where-do-i-find-this

Using the same data files can cause issues. We try to make things as safe as possible, but OpenLP was never meant to share data between two systems, even 2 Linux distributions.

There are so many possible things that this could be, I don't know where to start. Can you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a TTY? Are you using a transparent theme at all? Are you running dual monitors?
  • I just ran OpenLP in Peppermint Linux. I loaded a service file and successfully displayed one of the slides, a .jpg. I then clicked another item in the service file, and nothing happened. I could then do nothing in the system, as described above.

The log file is at http://lanelester.com/files/openlp.log

After the crash I could open a new TTY with Ctrl+Alt+F1.

I am not using a transparent theme.

I am running dual monitors.

The source files are a separate /opt partition, and the data and service files are on another partition, separate from the partition that runs the OS. Until recently, if OpenLP runs in one distro, it will run in all the distros on my computer.

Lane
  • Hi Lane, do you have the python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit package installed?

• I'm not looking for more action on this, but I just want to report this added tidbit.

I installed a fresh copy of Peppermint Linux on one of my partitions. I added the following packages with Synaptic:
    python3-alembic
    python3-bs4
    python3-lxml
    python3-sqlalchemy
    python3-pyqt5
    python3-pyqt5-qtwebkit
    python3-pyqt5-qtopengl
    python3-pyqt5.qtmultimedia

I was hoping it was something else that was causing the incompatibility, but unfortunately, the system crashed as soon as OpenLP was started.

Maybe with 2.4.3!  :)

Lane
  • I booted to the new system again and ran OpenLP with the debug option. The file is here: http://www.lanelester.com/files/openlp.log

Lane
  • Lane, can you describe in as much detail as possible your "crash"? I'm seeing nothing in the log file that indicates a crash.
  • edited September 2016
    In my experiences with this, Raoul, the crash has occurred at different points in using the program. In every case, the program main window comes up completely, and the logo displays on the second monitor.

In this case with this log file, after the window came up, I clicked on the Open File icon and nothing happened. The crash had occurred.

After the crash, I can move the mouse cursor over the screen, but clicks do nothing. Well, I can right-click the OpenLP entry in the task bar and click Close, but nothing happens. To get a working system again, I have to click Alt-PrtSc-B.

Looking at the log file, I see at the bottom these lines:
    2016-09-22 09:48:06,440 openlp.core.ui.servicemanager.ServiceManager            DEBUG    Entering on_load_service_clicked
    2016-09-22 09:48:06,441 openlp.core.ui.servicemanager.ServiceManager            DEBUG    Entering is_modified
    2016-09-22 09:48:26,073 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:26,073 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:27,095 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:27,096 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:28,602 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:52,488 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:53,101 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:53,540 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:53,820 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:53,980 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:54,460 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:54,612 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:54,652 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:54,676 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:54,708 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:54,732 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    2016-09-22 09:48:55,201 openlp.core.OpenLP DEBUG Entering event
    I presume the top line is when I clicked Open File, and the crash occurred. I wonder about all the "Entering event" lines after that. I think I'll run OpenLP in Lubuntu where it runs OK and see what the log file looks like there.

Later: I ran in Lubuntu, and after the "on_load_service_clicked" line in this new log file, there were no repeated lines like the above. There were lots of other lines related my opening a service file, making a small change, saving the file, and exiting the program.

Lane
  • Hi Lane, thanks for the detailed analysis. Perhaps we can add some more logging in to gather a little more information. I'll take a look at the code this weekend.