[Feature Request] Splitting verses on sentences

Operating system
Windows 10
Hi All,

Our screen is farther away from the congregation than would be ideal, with too much ambient light. I'm working on correcting that, but in the mean time I have the font size pretty high to ensure readability. One thing I've noticed is that long verses will sometimes split in inconvenient locations. For instance, you might get:

[Slide 1]
The king’s scribes were summoned at that time, in the third month, which is the month of Sivan, on the
[Slide 2]
twenty-third day. And an edict was written, according to all that Mordecai commanded concerning the
[Slide 3]
Jews, to the satraps and the governors and the officials of the provinces from India to Ethiopia, 127
[Slide 4]
provinces, to each province in its own script and to each people in its own language, and also to the Jews
[Slide 5]
in their script and their language.

Could we attempt to split slides, when required, on periods and commas? We've only been using OpenLP a short time, but we've run into four or five verses where only one or two words are after the split, while a sentence and a half is on the first slide. 

Perhaps it is possible to edit the verse slide, individually, to put in an optional split. I have tried that, yet. But, it would be nice if we could put in a little logic to do more automatically. For example, if you're calling up a verse with search (on the fly, say from a mobile app) there isn't time or opportunity to manually edit the slide.

I'm not sure if periods followed by a space would always be safe split points, but I would think that commas followed by a space would be. 

Comments

• edited February 13
    Look at the manual under "Songs". What you want is about 3/4 of the way down the page under "Adding or Editing the Lyrics"

When editing lyrics, you will see an option for "Optional Split" - place your cursor at the point you would like a split, then click on that button. You will see [---] added to the song. What happens is if there is not enough room for the full verse to be show, the verse will be split at that point - otherwise if there is enough room then the full verse will be shown.

Not sure about "automatic splits" being available anytime soon.
  • Thanks, but that's not what I'm talking about. This is in reference to verses, not songs. Verses have a greater need to be called up without the benefit of pre-editing. And, I reference "optional splits" in my second to last paragraph. I'm well aware of that option, and speak to why it is not a good fit.

Automatic splits are already happening. If you try to show a verse that is too big, it will show on two slides without any editing at all. That happens today in 2.4.5. All I'm asking is that we make a slight modification to how that happens. I'd be happy to write some code, but I'm not familiar with Python and don't have time at the moment to get up to speed.
  • So this is about the Bible plugin, not Songs.
    In the Bibles-setting you have the option to split on verses (Layout style: verse per slide/verse per line). This is the only "out of the box" solution. This could, however, based on your theme settings (font size) become awkward either with very long verses or with short verses. But it may short term solve your problem. The only other way to do it is to tweak the database so that it has a line break where it is necessary, but that will change depending on your chosen theme settings.
    There is no code tag in the bibles-database for each sentence, so splitting there would require some deep coding...
  • In addition to a smarter automatic split method, it would be nice to have a method to avoid "orphan words".   Let me explain.

When we have a larger font-size, also to ensure readability, we get a lot of slides with only one word. My suggestion is to divide the previous slide in 2 when we have orphan words.

OR 

Maybe we could use REGEX look behind and forward for a nearby comma, semi-colon or period before splitting a slide. this way we would have better automatically split slides, regardless if they are lyrics or bible verses.

Thanks for your efforts.