We're considering switching rom EasyWorship to OpenLP.

We're considering switching rom EasyWorship to OpenLP. I need to convince the decision makers that OpenLP is a stable product. I need to answer basic question such as : How long has it been a product? How many churches use OpenLP? How stable is the program in Windows? I need to know for sure that we will have a seamless transition from EasyWorship to OpenLP. Please advise. Thank you!

• 1. According to Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenLP) OpenLP's first stable release was 13 years ago.

2. This is an OpenLP forum, so you're going to get biased responses. Having said that, our church has used it since day one (we're a newish church plant, about 1.5 years old). I was heavily involved in the decision making, and I remember looking at Easy Worship as an option. I didn't like it, honestly, although I can't recall why. OpenLP has been reliable and intuitive for me. The only crashes I've seen have actually been due to hardware failure (and thus not OpenLP's fault). It's very stable and has a number of import options.  Additionally, there are a number of us regularly active on the forum to handle user questions & troubleshooting. 

Hope this helps!

May I ask why you're considering making the change?
  • You're welcome!

Sorry if I've missed any questions of yours lately - I've had my hands full with "real life" and haven't had much of an internet presence lately.  I'm getting caught up, though!
  • I've tried a lot of software packages, quela, easyworship, freeworship etc.. Even dabbling with SongPro (which I don't like, way too overcomplicated) and for many years used Zionworx. but Open LP stands out.  Easy to setup..  (took me about 20 mins to learn how to use it), importing all my existing songs was straightforward,  the ability to display images without resorting to PPT (which uses up way too much system resources). the availability of the NIV Bible ..... and for some strange reason that other software packages seem to lack.  The ability to load a different song, without it going live straightaway. A big bonus in our Worship services..
  • Would you mind telling me how you imported all your existing songs?  I'm new to this program and cannot figure it out.

• @lpgrimm You might find that OpenLP can import songs from EasyWorship very smoothly and without any manual intervention. We migrated from something called SundayPlus (never heard of it anywhere except in our church) several years ago and the import wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. I think OpenLP did provide a conversion tool but a lot of the songs ended up with weird characters in them, the verses weren't split correctly and none of the author fields were populated. I suspect this was due to the source format or the way they had been entered originally rather than a shortcoming of OpenLP. My solution took a few hours split over several days but was manageable.
    1. Build list of songs by reading my old e-mails and asking the guy who logs song usage with CCLI to send me a log.
    2. Rank by most often used.
    3. Import the top 50 into OpenLP by hand (use OpenLP importer then edit, or paste/type in directly).
    4. Start using OpenLP
    5. Add new songs as required.
    Once I'd put in a bit of time to get the top 50 songs into OpenLP the rest was pretty smooth.
  • We've just completed the move from EasyWorship to OpenLP.  Today (February 25th) was the first Sunday where I didn't have an EW schedule available 'just in case.'  The initial reason for leaving EW is their new policy of an annual subscription to keep up to date.  However, having made the move over the last month and a half I find OpenLP veery easy to use and it does everything I've asked of it.  Only those 'in the know' realised anything had change as the onscreen presentation uses themes that are identical to those I'd created in EW.  It did take quite some time to create theme templates but well worth the effort.