Deleting Duplicate Songs

Version of OpenLP
2_4_6
Operating system
Windows 10
Is there any way to "batch delete duplicate songs", or to tell OLP to automatically delete any duplicate songs it finds?

Comments

• Determining which songs are duplicates can be tricky, and some people intentionally make duplicate songs. Adding an automatic duplicate deleter would leave a lot our users with a foul experience.

Have you tried Ctrl+Clicking the songs in the Library and clicking the delete button?
  • Thanks Raoul. I seem to have triple the size of my original songs (each song has at least 2 duplicates) I have around 1000 original songs, and now with duplicates, about 3000. Its bad and long enough to wait for OLP scan through the song database whilst it determines the duplicates. To then go through clicking each of these duplicate songs for deletion is just an impossible task I want to go through. I built up these duplicates every time I transfer/import my Easyworship songs to OLP, since OLP has no selectable function to disregard same name/title/duplicate song when importing from other sources! I'll probably just live with the headache of having the duplicates.
  • Isn't there a built in tool to search for duplicates? I'm certain I've used it before. Check the Tools menu. You still have to confirm each action, but it's better than doing it all by hand...
  • Would it be worth having this as an import option - import only those which don't have a duplicate...

The import would be MUCH slower, but that might be a price worth paying...
  • edited September 21
    Just going through the 378 duplicates at the moment...

Comments
     - Would be really nice to have differences highlighted
     - Would be nice to have the display sections line up (so V1 is at the same height on both/all panes)
     - Would be really nice to be able to edit at the same time, so I could add an alternate title etc
  • More comments having finally got through the 400 odd 'duplicates'
     - Once there is only one song left it could take it and advance to the next duplicate (maybe optional)
     - Rearrange songs when you have 7 'duplicates' but they are actually 4 different songs ;)

PLEASE:
     - Can we have a way of stopping and coming back to it later?
  • What do you mean by, "rearrange songs"?
  • edited September 28
    I had a set of 7 'duplicates'
    From memory they were something like ABCBDDA (each letter representing a real song)
    To figure that the two end ones were actually identical was harder than it needed to be (even when I'd dropped middle duplicates out - because you can't actually see all that many songs side by side).  It's probably a rare enough case that it's not worth lots of effort, but it was sufficiently challenging that I felt it worth comment...
  • Yeah, getting that order worked out would be difficult. We are using a fairly advanced fuzzy matching algorithm as it is, but a human will always match better than a machine.

Thanks for your comments.
  • Yes - the fuzzy matching was pretty good actually.
    There weren't too many false matches, but there were quite a few when I would have liked to be able to copy and paste to add a verse into one side or to split a verse into two...
    If the 'deduplicate as I import' function was created then that could also usefully show which song is the potential import and which is/are from the existing dB.