Problem opening and shutting down OLP & Others

I have problem 8 times out of 10 starting and shutting down OLP. I have re-installed the software without a cure. When I start the software, I often just get the OLP logo in the middle of the screen/projector, static without anything further happening, until I invoke task manager to end task and/or re-start the computer by few times. Also sometimes when trying to close/exit OLP, most of the times it doesn't exit, and the OLP main menu stays static on the screen, again until I invoke task manager to end task and/or re-start the computer. The laptop is a very new machine too with Win 10.

The other issue I have is about not being able to successfully transfer/copy my loaded media (videos) and images (basically pictures and slides of still images, from one computer to another, and for them to show up/display on the 2nd computer. I used the OLP "Open data Folder" option under tools menus to transfer the media and images over but still didn't work - keeps saying "the file/the following images no longer exist on ....(the original named drive/directory from where it was copied/created). I even replicated the folder/drive on the 2nd computer from the first computer, and copied all the images/media into the drive/folder..but still not working. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2017
    A couple thoughts:
    1. Find and upload your log file.  To find your log file, open File Explorer and in the address bar at the top put in the following and press Enter:  %AppData%\openlp\
      That will take you right to OpenLP's data location on Windows, and you want the file there named openlp.log
      You could copy & paste the contents here or (better) upload it as an attachment.

2. The problem might be related to Windows itself, so let's have a look at the Windows Logs.  Press the start button and type Event Viewer, and the first thing listed under Best Match should be a Desktop App called Event Viewer.  Open that up (be patient - it can take a while for Windows to parse through everything).
      Navigate to Windows Logs -> Application and look for any Error entries (they have a red ! icon).  Click on them, and see if they're related to OpenLP.  If so, copy the text of the General tab & paste it into your forum update.  There may be several errors, but we'd only need a couple of each "type".
      The other place to look in Event Viewer is Windows Logs -> System.  Just like before, look for any errors.  These won't necessarily say OpenLP on them, but if they occur at roughly the same time as any OpenLP errors, then it's a good bet they're related.  Just like before, copy a couple of each "type" of error so we can get a feel for the problem.
    EDIT - I'm not sure if this is related to your issue or not, but I've noticed that on Windows 10 if I try to shutdown the computer immediately after closing OpenLP, I'll get an error message about OpenLP trying to access an invalid memory location.  I suspect that OpenLP is doing some shut down behavior of its own, and shutting down the computer itself is interfering with that.  But I haven't noticed any other problems or errors, so I haven't been worried about it.
  • Thanks Milon. Will check/try this out as soon as I am able to and feedback
  • Hi Milon
    Find attached logs of errors under Event Viewer as you have suggested. Thanks
  • edited August 2017
    Hi Milon
    Find attached logs of errors under Event Viewer as you have suggested. Thanks

Why can I not see the document I attached!!???,,,hence I tried to post it again...but still cannot see the attached document, hope others can see it.
  • Yeah, I've never been able to find forum attachments here either. @raoul, is there something going on with attachments?

Anyway, @olaleye1962, email them to me and I'll take a look. Click my user name to go to my profile page where you'll find my email listed near the top (small text, look close).
  • I found this quote from raoul about attachments in another recent comment:

I've changed the way the forum does uploads. Use the "Attach a file" link to upload a file. The previous system worked, but you had to drag and drop the file into the editor box after uploading in order for it to show up in the post (unintuitive, I know).

@olaleye1962, try re-attaching your files again using the above method.
  • I've recently started to have a very similar fault.  Not on start up but every single time I try to close OLP it freezes and I have to force a close via Task Manager.  Windows Event Manager gives the following application error

Faulting application name: OpenLP.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Faulting module name: python34.dll, version: 3.4.4150.1013, time stamp: 0x5676f342
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x00121a08
    Faulting process id: 0x2bfc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d47ddea4ee3556
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\OpenLP.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLP\python34.dll
    Report Id: ed15727f-f292-48c7-91c1-ce2d1ca76652
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any suggestions?
  • @baldrick45 that's a Windows error message, which is next to useless. You need to show us your log file, and potentially disable Windows Error Reporting so that OpenLP can handle the error itself instead of Windows butting in there.