Ubuntu 18.04 OpenLP can not start

Hello everyone,

today I installed Ubuntu 18.04. After the installation, I have normally installed openlp and now I get the following error message. Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong? Thanks in advance.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/openlp", line 27, in <module>
    from openlp.core.common import is_win, is_macosx
  File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    from openlp import core, plugins
  File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
    from openlp.core.ui.mainwindow import MainWindow
  File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/ui/mainwindow.py", line 29, in <module>
    from distutils import dir_util
ImportError: cannot import name 'dir_util'

Comments

• +1  I was fixing to post the exact same traceback.  Ubuntu Mate 18.04, I double checked all dependencies and they are installed. OpenLp icon appears briefly in my dock but the program itself does not load up. If you need further details from me, just let me know.
  • As a follow up I tried version 2.4.4-2 as well and received the same error.  Has Ubuntu changed a dependency location perhaps?
  • It looks like one of the packages that OpenLP depends on changed enough to affect OpenLP, we'll have to see what we can do about it.
  • SOLUTION:

Open a terminal (console), and type in the following:
    sudo apt install python3-distutils
  • Thank you Raoul!  I was able to do the fix this morning and have everything up and running before early service.  Worked great!
  • Hi tried Raoul's fix sadly it didn't work any other suggestions please
  • This is the information I get when trying to start OpenLP

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/openlp", line 44, in <module>

main()

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/__init__.py", line 437, in main

sys.exit(application.run(qt_args))

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/__init__.py", line 142, in run

Registry().execute('bootstrap_initialise')

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/common/registry.py", line 137, in execute

result = function(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/lib/pluginmanager.py", line 60, in bootstrap_initialise

self.hook_media_manager()

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/lib/pluginmanager.py", line 122, in hook_media_manager

plugin.create_media_manager_item()

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/lib/plugin.py", line 204, in create_media_manager_item

self.media_item = self.media_item_class(self.main_window.media_dock_manager.media_dock, self)

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/plugins/media/lib/mediaitem.py", line 58, in __init__

super(MediaMediaItem, self).__init__(parent, plugin)

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/lib/mediamanageritem.py", line 82, in __init__

self.setup_item()

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/plugins/media/lib/mediaitem.py", line 90, in setup_item

self.media_controller.setup_display(self.display_controller.preview_display, False)

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/ui/media/mediacontroller.py", line 322, in setup_display

player.setup(display)

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/ui/media/vlcplayer.py", line 157, in setup

display.vlc_instance = vlc.Instance(command_line_options)

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/ui/media/vendor/vlc.py", line 1411, in __new__

return libvlc_new(len(args), args)

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/ui/media/vendor/vlc.py", line 3630, in libvlc_new

ctypes.c_void_p, ctypes.c_int, ListPOINTER(ctypes.c_char_p))

File "/usr/share/openlp/openlp/core/ui/media/vendor/vlc.py", line 246, in _Cfunction

raise NameError('no function %r' % (name,))

NameError: no function 'libvlc_new'

• edited May 11
    @bogbrush, your issue is different, it's a different error message.

Having said that, I know about your error too. There's a bug in the VLC integration library, installing VLC should solve your error.

sudo apt install vlc
  • Using Ubuntu 18.04 I had the same error message as Bogbrush. I had installed VLC as a flatpak.  Removed that and installed VLC from the repository and now all is well.
  • I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and then installed OpenLP.  When I launch it, nothing happens.  
  • When I checked the details of my crash report, I have the same "traceback" info as Pastor 2311.  But when I try Raoul's solution of sudo apt install python3-distutils nothing happens (when I open the terminal via alt + f2 nothing happens).  When I open the terminal via a right click on the desktop and choose open terminal, I get "rpeasley@rpeasley-M50Vm:" in green, then "~"in blue then "$" in white.  "When I type sudo apt install python3-distutils and hit enter the next line that comes up is "[sudo] password for rpeasley:"  but I am unable to type anything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • @rpeasley The password prompt doesn't show your typing. This is normal (and predates the idea of showing your characters), so just type your password and press Enter.
  • Roul's fix worked - thanks.  I am new to Ubuntu.  When I typed the command in the terminal and it asked for a password, it appeared to not be recognizing the password I was typing (the cursor did not move or show the typical * placeholder).  After I typed the password in then it let me run the command again and it worked.

• I installed Openlp on Kubuntu 18.10 using Discover and I got the same issue as the thread starter. Solution was to install #sudo apt install python3-distutils as described by raoul. Strange that Openlp does not list this as a dependency.
  • @rpeasley, when you type any password in Ubuntu terminal, the cursor won't move nor it won't display anything on the screen.It's for safety reason. Just type your password correctly and press Enter. If you type wrong password, the terminal will inform you and let you retype it.