Error-message while adding songs

This is the message that the software wanted me to email to OpenLP:

**OpenLP Bug Report** Version: {'build': None, 'full': '2.4.6', 'version': '2.4.6'} --- Details of the Exception. --- Adding an author to a song --- Exception Traceback --- Traceback (most recent call last): File "openlp\plugins\songs\forms\editsongform.py", line 991, in accept File "openlp\plugins\songs\forms\editsongform.py", line 1027, in save_song File "openlp\plugins\songs\forms\editsongform.py", line 304, in _process_lyrics File "openlp\plugins\songs\lib\openlyricsxml.py", line 102, in add_verse_to_lyrics File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 2972, in lxml.etree.CDATA.__cinit__ (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:69195) File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1393, in lxml.etree._utf8 (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:27125) ValueError: All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytes or control characters --- System information --- Plattform: Windows-10-10.0.17763-SP0 --- Library Versions --- Python: 3.4.4 Qt5: 5.5.1 PyQt5: 5.5.1 QtWebkit: 538.1 SQLAlchemy: 1.0.11 SQLAlchemy Migrate: - BeautifulSoup: 4.4.1 lxml: 3.4.4 Chardet: 2.3.0 PyEnchant: 1.6.6 Mako: 1.0.3 pyICU: 1.9.2 pyUNO bridge: - VLC: -

Edit: I've noticed that it 70% of the time gives an error when I try to copy and paste lyrics onto the software, forcing me to manually type in the lyrics (which to be honest can be such a hassle).

I'll do my best to give more info as i learn the software.

Comments

• I see two related issues in your post.
    1. Trouble with adding an author to a song.
    2. Cut and paste of a song is unreliable.
    #1 The log file is telling us that a 'special' character was found in the input.  Is this happening when you copy and paste an author into the song and save it?  You can strip 'special' characters by pasting into NotePad and then copying what you just pasted into NotePad and then doing a paste into the author field of the song.   Remember to select the 'Add to Song' button before you save the file!

#2 I assume you are copying the verses and directly pasting them into the window to add a verse.  You can try to paste into NotePad to remove special characters as in #1.  Are you copying from a text file?  If so you may be able to use the song import feature....it works with several formats and may help save some time.  Let me know what format the songs are in and I may be able to point you to a specific importer.

One last bit of wisdom I can give you is to use the feature on the Songs Manager to manage your authors....i imported and created a large number of songs when I first started using the software and then found junk in my authors....this was all my fault, but it doesn't hurt to checkout what is in the Authors from time to time.

• Sorry for the late reply.

We are at the moment using Powerpoint and are trying to merge over to OpenLP, so I've been trying to copy the songs from there.
  • Importing Songs from PowerPoint is difficult sometimes.  There are 2 things you can try to make the import easier.
    1. Save the presentations in an older PowerPoint format and try uploading the older format.  Yes PowerPoint will warn you that you may miss some formatting....but you want the words, not the formatting.
    2. Save the presentations in OpenOffice format and try uploading the OpenOffice formatted file.  Again PowerPoint will warn you about the missing formatting.
    And yes you can try the notepad steps I mentioned above....If you get stuck, let us know.
  • I did try the notepad option and it went well until the following just happened:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "openlp\plugins\songs\forms\editsongform.py", line 991, in accept

File "openlp\plugins\songs\forms\editsongform.py", line 1027, in save_song

File "openlp\plugins\songs\forms\editsongform.py", line 304, in _process_lyrics

File "openlp\plugins\songs\lib\openlyricsxml.py", line 102, in add_verse_to_lyrics

File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 2972, in lxml.etree.CDATA.__cinit__ (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:69195)

File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1393, in lxml.etree._utf8 (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:27125)

ValueError: All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytes or control characters

I will later try option 2 aswell.

I apologize for the inconveniences I'm causing.

• I'm sorry your having so much trouble importing the songs.  The error is still special characters in the songs.  Let us know if OpenOffice solves your issues.
  • i went back over this and I don't see what version of PowerPoint you are using.  Please let us know what version you have.
    Also did you try to import the songs using the song importer for presentations?