Plugin to fix inconsistently formatted slides

edited October 9 in Development
Hello!

Oftentimes, when watching slides from presenters, I see the formatting change between songs. For example, song 1 will be like:

Savior,
He can move the mountains.
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.

The next song will be formatted as such:

Who the Son sets free
oh, is free indeed
I'm a child of God
yes I am

It's just small things, like:
- the first words of each line are capitalized in the first passage, but not in the second
- There is punctuation at the end of the lines in the first, but not the second. There is also variation as to whether there is capitalization in the lines

I'd like to make a plugin to make these more consistent. Where can I start learning how to make a plugin for this?

I've got a few other projects I'm working on, but I'll try to keep everyone updated on how this goes.

Comments

• edited October 11
    That sounds like a great idea!
    Unfortunately some parts are a little out of date, you could look at the other plugins to get an idea of the differences.
    (You also might want to look at how to setup a dev environment on there too)

Although, "songs" is a plugin itself, so it might be easier to just extend the existing plugin to add this automatic formatting thing as a tool like the "reindex songs", "find duplicates" and "song list report" tools. Copying the "find duplicates" tool might actually be a nice place to start from...

If you'd like any help with anything, there's usually a developer around on the IRC channel that would be happy to help. (#openlp on freenode)

P.S. A Windows build is an executable containing the plugins, if you want to share a plugin for OpenLP 2.4.6 on Windows you'll need to distribute the whole build, not just your plugin code :/ On the other hand, if your code is merged into the master branch (if you wish to share it), you can just wait for the next official release.