Midi

edited 10:15AM in Development

Hey guys,

Just wanted to propose something that the other presentation companies are finally starting to implement in their programs; midi enabled control through midi CC commands.  An example scenario would be a church who is running Ableton Live on a machine and maybe also openlp at the same time.  It would be great if basic openlp commands had midi CC assignments; play,stop,pause etc.. The idea would be that the Ableton track could tell openlp what to do and everyone would be in perfect sync.  This would be a great feature for churches who use tracks, clicks, and other live performance content.  What do you guys think?

thanks,

Comments

• edited November 2008

Remote operation of openlp.org has been (briefly) discussed, I don't think we had considered doing so via the midi interface however.

Unless one of the developers knew how to listen to a midi port from Python, and also had access to this type of machine to test it out, I'm not sure it would be easy to implement...

I assume these "other presentation companies" are commercial offerings and not open source?

• edited November 2008

I have done some MIDI work with python under Unix (heh, trivial read from /dev/midi) and have some kit I could use for testing, but it'll be a plugin to write after 2.0 has a first release I reckon...

To the OP, are there some standard MIDI control channels/messages that could be used, or would you envisage (eg) changing slides on a c#?

Cheers,

Martin

• Hi gang - was this ever implemented?  (Being able to trigger from Ableton?)
  • No, I'm afraid not.

Having said that, OpenLP does have a remote API which could technically be hooked up to something that sits between Ableton and OpenLP and calls OpenLP's API based on Ableton's MIDI commands.
  • I'd be willing to help with this. I really hate that I have to pay a monthly fee just to be able to control a slide presentation from ableton. In addition I'm using the software to develop product not in a church setting with live body count so their method of licensing doesnt really work for me. I just want to be able to map midi notes to certain slides within a collection of slides. Should not be an impossible task
  • @CaveDweller: You should be most welcome to help add something (maybe a plugin for OpenLP) that can integrate with Ableton. Feel free to join the dev-team on the mailing list or IRC, see https://openlp.io/