Video won’t play full screen

Hi,

I installed OLP 2.9.4 on my ‘church’ Mac about 10 days ago having upgraded my home Mac to that version a week earlier and not had any problems. I felt confident that everything was going to work properly. It installed okay, and I was able to prepare the service at home using the ‘church’ Mac without any problems. But that all changed on Sunday morning when I tried to get the projection happening.

Firstly, OLP would open with a white screen covering the laptop’s screen. I found a way around that. Somehow, I managed to get OLP into full screen and that has stopped the white screen cover. To clarify, I know how to get into full screen mode; what I was meaning was that I didn’t know how I managed to click on the green button whilst everything was covered in white.

But I couldn’t project anything! If I used Keynote to project, everything was fine. But OLP wouldn’t put anything on the screen.

I went back to the church today and spent too many hours testing this, that, and the other and I eventually managed to get things projected properly. Almost.

There’s a line at the top of the TV (that’s what we use for projection). And there’s one video which won’t play in full screen. The line at the top of the screen is NOT present when using Keynote, or when there’s nothing connected to the TV.

I’m at a complete loss to explain or fix anything that’s happened. If you have any suggestions, please do let me know.

Every blessing,

Andrew

Comments

• Did you check your screen settings in OpenLP? We also upgraded how the screens are detected and configured in 2.9.4, and while we tried our best to migrate your configuration, due to the lack of information stored in 2.4.6, sometimes the configuration doesn't get migrated to 2.9.4.

BTW, I presume the white screen has the OpenLP logo on it? That's actually the display screen, and when your screens are not configured, OpenLP doesn't always perfectly detect which screen is which, and occasionally you'll be left with the display screen covering OpenLP's main window.

• Did I check my screen settings?

Funny that you mention that! At almost every startup of OLP, there’s a message about a mismatch between screen settings and that OpenLP will try and select the correct settings but that I should update the screen settings. I have been meaning to ask about that message and where I am supposed to change the settings and to what. I didn’t think that it was high on my priority list, but you seem to think that it is. I’ll take your word over mine.

The white screen doesn’t always have the OLP logo on it but it often does. And I can ‘change’ the appearance of the white screen by pressing the escape key. It’s been a couple of weeks since I have had this occurrence, so I’m not certain of the exact sequence of events. The gap between occurrences is not due to OLP changing behaviour. It’s been due to my ill health other factors and therefore my inability to keep using OLP. As I’m the only person who does any projection, church has had to make do without it for the past few weeks.

I wasn’t sure if this was related or not, but I now think that it is. When OLP starts, I now almost always get the ‘where’s PowerPoint?’ screen show on the projection screen, in my case, the TV.

I said ‘almost always’ but I can’t remember a time that it didn’t happen. I’m just covering myself just in case there was one occasion that I haven’t remembered.

I haven’t been able to get around this one.

I know that I had special screen geometric coordinates set in 2.4.6 but they have not been transferred to the new version. I’m wondering if the white line at the top of the TV screen is a result of the coordinates not being there now.

Sorry about the novel.

Andrew

• Things changed this morning.

The ‘Where’s PowerPoint?’ message appeared on the computer screen today. Yippee! I don’t know what I did to cause that change.

But worse, OLP started with a full white screen and I cannot get around that. Occasionally, clicking something will allow me to open the service that I created and saved, I’m almost immediately returned to the white screen.

If I’m not plugged in to the projector/TV, OLP starts normally. But I can’t then plug in the HDMI for the TV display. Well, I can, but OLP will immediately crash. And that’s not the desired result.

I’m at church now with less than half an hour before church starts and I cannot get projection to work. At all. This is a very embarrassing situation for me. And I don’t know what I can do.

• @AndrewK Sorry, I check in on the forums when I have an opportunity, so I'm not always the fastest at getting back to people.

The white screen is probably the display screen. You can make sure the "display on single screen" (I can't remember the exact wording) setting is unchecked, and try pressing Esc to close the display.

Also, set up your displays BEFORE starting OpenLP. This ensures that OpenLP knows what's going on when it starts up.

Also, saving the log file when OpenLP crashes would be helpful, then I can look at it and figure out what's going on. At the moment I don't know what's happening on your computer, so I don't really know how to fix it.

• edited April 15

@raoul I understand about you checking the forum when you have an opportunity. Time zones are another spanner in the works. You have other commitments, like family(!) which makes me hesitant to keep saving log files to send to you. But I'll try and save and send more often than I currently do.

When a Mac programme crashes, depending on how a person has set up their computer, it will probably tell them that a report will be sent to Apple. Does Apple then share that report with you?

After a lot of investigation and testing during the week, I came to the same conclusion that you did. That white screen is probably the display screen. But I had a different solution - because that 'display on single screen' (I also can't remember the exact wording) box was already UNchecked. I have had to 'CHECK' (tick, in English) it to get it to display correctly. It seems that OpenLP has got things in a knot and display setting (only?) are reversed. I have everything working correctly now, and with Easter Day tomorrow with the potential of many C&Es, I'm reluctant to change anything to get it back to how it is supposed to be in the fear that it won't work again.

Also, set up your displays BEFORE starting OpenLP. This ensures that OpenLP knows what's going on when it starts up.

Do you mean that I should plug in to the computer any external displays and then start OpenLP? If so, that's how I have always done things in the past, but it now seems to get OpenLP confused. So now, each time that I am going to plug in an external display, testing or live, I start OpenLP, and only then do I plug in my displays. Don't ask me why it works that way. I just see it work that way every time.

Blessings,

Andrew

#Edit I did try to use the Esc key to get out of the white screen. Many times. To no avail. That key has been a life-saver in the past, but not last Sunday.