csv format

Could somebody please tell me what is wrong with this format. Nothing shows past the comma's after import. This is taken from NIV.

For instance Gen 1:3 will only show: And God said (without comma or the rest of the verse)

This is wonderful software.

Thank you.

John

A     B  C                                      D

Genesis 1 1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
Genesis 1 2 "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
Genesis 1 3 "And God said, ""Let there be light,"" and there was light."
Genesis 1 4 "God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness."
Genesis 1 5 "God called the light ""day,"" and the darkness he called ""night."" And there was evening, and there was morning-the first day."

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Genesis 1 1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
    Genesis 1 2 "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
    Genesis 1 3 "And God said, ""Let there be light,"" and there was light."
    Genesis 1 4 "God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness."
    Genesis 1 5 "God called the light ""day,"" and the darkness he called ""night."" And there was evening, and there was morning-the first day."

Where are your commas? Your lines should be comma delimited and look like this:

Genesis,1,1,"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
  • edited January 2010

I'm sorry, I suppose I should have mentioned this is the way it looks in the spread sheet. Genesis is under column A, 1 Column B, 1 Column C, and the actual verse under Column D.

Do I need to add the comma's in the spreadsheet?

Thank you Raoul.

• edited January 2010

No. It looks like your spreadsheet is being exported as a TAB-delimited file, not a comma-delimited file. Adding commas in won't help, you need to change the format your spreadsheet is being saved in.

• edited January 2010

Using Opensong bible to openlp conversion, which I just tried again, this is what my file looks like in notepad. I have not done anything to the finished file but post this. Could these " " marks around the books be the cause of the trouble?

"Genesis",1,1,"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
    "Genesis",1,2,"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
    "Genesis",1,3,"And God said, ""Let there be light,"" and there was light."
    "Genesis",1,4,"God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness."
    "Genesis",1,5,"God called the light ""day,"" and the darkness he called ""night."" And there was evening, and there was morning-the first day."
    "Genesis",1,6,"And God said, ""Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water."""
    "Genesis",1,7,"So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so."
    "Genesis",1,8,"God called the expanse ""sky."" And there was evening, and there was morning-the second day."
    "Genesis",1,9,"And God said, ""Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear."" And it was so."
    "Genesis",1,10,"God called the dry ground ""land,"" and the gathered waters he called ""seas."" And God saw that it was good."
    "Genesis",1,11,"Then God said, ""Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds."" And it was so."

• edited January 2010

That wasn't the issue. I just tried to import this below, and it did not work. The verse stops after the comma. Here is the .csv file as viewed through notepad. If somebody could send me one of their files I could look at and try, it would be appreciated. PM me and I'll send you my email.

Thank you.

John

Genesis,1,1,In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
    Genesis,1,2,"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
    Genesis,1,3,"And God said, ""Let there be light,"" and there was light."
    Genesis,1,4,"God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness."
    Genesis,1,5,"God called the light ""day,"" and the darkness he called ""night."" And there was evening, and there was morning-the first day."
    Genesis,1,6,"And God said, ""Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water."""
    Genesis,1,7,So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so.
    Genesis,1,8,"God called the expanse ""sky."" And there was evening, and there was morning-the second day."
    Genesis,1,9,"And God said, ""Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear."" And it was so."
    Genesis,1,10,"God called the dry ground ""land,"" and the gathered waters he called ""seas."" And God saw that it was good."
    Genesis,1,11,"Then God said, ""Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds."" And it was so."

• edited January 2010

Send me your e-mail. If looking for niv specific I might be able to help.

jan.labuscagne (at) gmail(dot)com

• edited January 2010

Jan, did you get my email?

John

• edited January 2010

I installed version 1.21 and imported the Bibles from CSV and it worked perfectly. Hopefully all I have to do is update. It solved my problem but maybe there is an import problem in 1.23

Thank you all who responded.

John

• edited January 2010

I'm trying to get Bibles in Spanish, Reina Valera and Nueva Version Internacional. Anyone can tell me where can I get those?

Thanks

Joakimzaz

• edited January 2010

Joakimzaz

First, you can download the XML version from OpenSong, and then, you can use the OpenSong Bible Import that you can download from the Utilities here or following this link: http://sites.google.com/site/ricepudd/myopenlputilities.

Then, when you have the converted files, You can import them trough the Import->CSV in the File menu.

Hope it helps.

• edited March 2010

Hi,

I tried to import an NIV CSV Bible from Songbook Website and I get all the way to the verses import and then it just stops and says that there is a problem with the verses.Any idea why I am getting so far after converting the files from songbook and then getting problems with the versus.

Thanks

Heiko