PowerPoint causing OpenLP to crash

Hi,

I'm a long-time user of OpenLP but in the last couple of weeks we've found that trying to display a PowerPoint file causes OpenLP to crash. The computer is running Windows 10 and is fully updated, and Office 365 which is also up-to-date.

I know that 2.4.6 is quite old now, but equally I'm not sure where the beta version of 3 is ready to be used in a live environment. Is there any way I can get around this issue because we're a small team and I don't want to make things more complicated by having to use PowerPoint outside of OpenLP.

Thanks,

David

**OpenLP Bug Report**

Version: {'full': '2.4.6', 'build': None, 'version': '2.4.6'}

--- Details of the Exception. ---

When trying to display a PowerPoint presentation an error occurs. The PowerPoint file does appear on the screen but the error keeps reoccurring. I have tried closing and re-opening, restarting the computer, but the error still keeps appearing.

--- Exception Traceback ---

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "openlp\plugins\presentations\lib\messagelistener.py", line 486, in timeout

File "openlp\plugins\presentations\lib\messagelistener.py", line 283, in poll

File "openlp\plugins\presentations\lib\presentationcontroller.py", line 281, in poll_slidenumber

TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: 'NoneType' and 'int'

--- System information ---

Platform: Windows-10-10.0.19041-SP0

--- Library Versions ---

Python: 3.4.4

Qt5: 5.5.1

PyQt5: 5.5.1

QtWebkit: 538.1

SQLAlchemy: 1.0.11

SQLAlchemy Migrate: -

BeautifulSoup: 4.4.1

lxml: 3.4.4

Chardet: 2.3.0

PyEnchant: 1.6.6

Mako: 1.0.3

pyICU: 1.9.2

pyUNO bridge: -

VLC: -

Comments

• @davepartridge Office365 is a far cry from the office OpenLP 2.4.6 was developed for! You can try exporting the presentation to PDF and loading the PDF into OpenLP. This has worked for me in the past. The other option is to export to images and load the images into a folder in the image library. Both have advantages and disadvantages. See if either work for you.

As a last resort, you can disable PowerPoint in OpenLP and install OpenOffice. Be sure to enable OpenOffice in OpenLP and your PowerPoint presentation should work just like when OpenLP could use PowerPoint.

• I would suggest you get a copy of the perpetual powerpoint license. Office 2019 seems to work for me, but they are coming out with office 2021 soon. With a perpetual license you don't have to worry about updates breaking the code integration with OpenLP. Subscription software from multiple separate parties seems like a nightmare waiting to happen.