Laggy text transitions? (beta 2)

edited November -1 in Troubleshooting

Hello All, I've searched on the forums and FAQ and can't seem to find anybody having similar issue with this.

When I go and edit a theme and enable 'Transitions' on the Text Formatting window, i get REALLY laggy text transitions.

I've tried using just a plain black background and the text takes literally 10 seconds to switch from slide to slide.

It slowly fades out and the next slide slowly fades in. (no transitions work instantly as expected)

My hardware is pretty decent.  (Easyworship and Mediashout perform silky smooth text transitions on same machine)

AMD Opteron Dual Core 2.5Ghz

Nvidia GTS 250 (latest drivers)

2GB of Ram

Multi boot: WinXP SP3, Ubuntu 10.10, Ubuntu 11.04  (tried Openlp on all)

All 1.9xx Openlp versions have performed the same on each OS that I have.

Is this a common problem or is it just me?

Awesome software by the way! I loved playing with the web control from iPod touch out of this last release :)
Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2011

No it's been like that for me also on any hardware and OS I've tried OpenLP on ever since 1.9.3.

I leave transitions off on all themes.

• edited July 2011

Hello,

At church this worked correct (I only used it for one event), although the computer's specs are not good (I do not know the exact spects):

• less than 1GB (probably 512MB)
    • less then 2GHz (I think it'll be something between 1Gh and 1,8Gh)

I am not sure about the graphic card, it probably has 256MB of memory, though I do not know the manufacturer/model.

Cheers

PS: I think the transition is done with JS.

• edited July 2011

Yeah, we know there are issues with transitions on some systems. It'll be worse the higher the screen resolution and if you have both outlines and shadow switched on. But you may even find it slow regardless of this, I'm afraid.

• edited July 2011

Hello,

Please stop creating new threads with the same content (which I hid).

Consider this as a warning, if you do not stop this, we will disable your account. However, if you experience(d) technical problems which caused this, then let us know.

Cheers

PS: I can imagine better things then hiding/removing doulbe posts on a Sunday afternoon.

• edited July 2011

I could not delete the other post (or posts?).

Everytime I tried to submit this thread it gave me some "404 Bad Request error" so I didn't believe the website took it.  So I tried again not knowing the forum actually took my post.

I tried this on my work computer and home computer, both gave me the same error? (Firefox 4.0)

I had no intent to duplicate posts, and once i realized I did, I could not delete either one.  Is there a way to do this? (I didn't see any options to do so)

• edited July 2011

Strange ...

Well, the other threads are hidden, so no need to worry about them.

Nevermind Smile

• edited April 2012

This looks like the most recent post regarding slow/laggy transitions.  Has there been any progress on this?  Any tips to make it faster?  I think this is one of the major roadblocks from us migrating to OpenLP permanently.

• edited April 2012

There have been no changes regarding the speed of transitions I'm afraid.

Tips to make it faster would be to use a lower screen resolution and no text borders or shadows, and probably a plain background. If on Linux using cutting edge versions of QtWebkit might help.

• edited July 2012

So now that we are up to an RC have there been any changes regarding this lagginess.  I was planning on suggesting this to a pastor friend of mine.

• edited July 2012

Nothing will be happening on this until post Release 2.

Only urgent bug fixes will be looked at.

After that it could be looked at but would be depending on the fuctions avaialble in the underlying tool kit.