Diplaying songs live

edited December 2012 in General Support
Ok I know Im missing something. When displaying a song live and tabbing through the verses, dont it stop at the end of a song? How do I tab to the next item in service manually? Where can I find this in the help files?

Comments

• To go to the next item in the service press the right cursor key. To go to the previous item, press the left key. The shortcuts can be seen in the Settings -> Customize Shortcuts option.
  • Why do the songs loop when advancing through the verses instead of stopping at the last chorus or verse in the song? Is there a way to change this option!

• In the Advanced settings there is a Service Item Slide Limits setting. Here you can configure it to either stop at the end of the song, loop back to the beginning, or go to the next song.
  • And I for one am glad it's configurable, makes it easier when a 3 slide song has repeating done :D

• Sorry - I think I should have posted elsewhere, so have removed my comment.
  • This might be a real simple and easy question. I just downloaded the software and trying to figure things out. 

I was wondering how I can disable to song name and artist info that pops up on the bottom left corner of the screen?

Thanks!
  • In most of the countries where OpenLP is used, that is illegal. For this reason OpenLP does not have the ability to hide the song information.
  • You could change the text colour to match the background.

(But as Raoul said, it's a legal copyright requirement to display the info - and it's amazing how many churches don't actually comply with copyright, but that's another topic...)
  • In most churches I was so far, they do display this information
    Just use a nice color, matching your theme and nobody will ever complain :)
  • Hello,

OpenLP has the ability to change the colour and position of the footer. However, this was not added as option to remove the footer.

Not to display the footer as required is not cool; it is illegal in most countries. So just display it.

Regards
  • Hi googol

It makes sense to display the song title and its number (or its reference), so that people who own the songbook could look for the song later on.
    It makes less, or no sense at all, to display the song author or the song copyright: it distracts people from reading or singing the lyrics.

You wrote:
    > Not to display the footer as required is not cool; it is illegal in most countries. So just display it.

Maybe, but from where did you get this information?

Could you please list the countries where it is required to display a header or a footer about song lyrics or Bible verses?
    From what I can see at the CCLI site, only 27 countries are covered by CCLI.
    There are around 196 countries in the world.

I haven't found anything about header or footer at the CCLI web site, maybe I just didn't see it.
    Could you tell us which exact information must stay visible on screen, for how many seconds at the minimum, and in what minimum font size and which minimum color contrast, even if some users think that they don't need headers or footers?

It is totally legal to display French song lyrics without any information about the author or song title, at least as long as the church has contributed to the song's author work through its CCLI French equivalent.
    Why displaying public domain english songs or Bible verses requires some content in the header or the footer?
    Think of other languages, which CCLI does not cover at all. Why force them to display headers and footers?

VideoPsalm

• edited May 2013
    Hello,

The important part is, that even if there is no CCLI in a particular country, you are still bound to the copyright. So, if there is no CCLI or similar you have to ask the author for permission (that is actually the part CCLI does for you).

What CCLI wants you to show:
    As part of the terms and agreement, you are responsible for including
    the copyright information on all songs reproduced under the Church
    Copyright License®. This includes the song title, writer credit(s),
    copyright notice, and your church’s CCLI® license number…for example:
    "Hallelujah" words and music by John Doe
    ©2000 Good Music Co.
    CCLI License # 0000
    http://www.ccli.com/Support/LicenseCoverage.aspx

Regards

EDIT:
    > It is totally legal to display French song lyrics without any
    information about the
    > author or song title, at least as long as the
    church has contributed to the song's
    > author work through its CCLI French
    equivalent.
    No, at least not for German songs. I don't know why this should be different for French songs.
  • Please note that CCLI is simply a company that manages copyright permissions for copyright owners so whether they do something in a country or not has nothing to do with law. The legal part is the International Copyright Law of which there are at least two and maybe more. The most notable is the Berne Convention and I believe it was ratified by over 150 countries. 

So there is a law and to use a copyrighted work you need permission from the copyright holder. That would mean that you would need to contact the copyright holder and reach an agreement to use their work. That may involve monetary compensation and they would probably spell out how they want you to acknowledge the copyright holder. You would need to do this for each work you use so you see what a mess this would be having to contact each copyright holder for each work.

This is where CCLI comes in. They have made an agreement with a large group of copyright holders on fees and attribution. So now it is easy for us. We pay a fee to CCLI and follow the attribution requirement that they lay out and they distribute the fees to the various copyright holders while retaining a portion for themselves for their work.

Just want to make sure that people understood that it is International Copyright Law that you need to be concerned with. CCLI is simply a means to obtain permission. If you want to get your permissions on your own you are free to do so. My guess is that you will be running back to CCLI very quickly. 
  • Hi googol,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, but I tend to disagree with your conclusion: It is too radical.

CCLI obviously recommends, as strongly as they can, to display some of the song metadata.
    However, CCLI wont, and cannot force you, to display this information if you don't want to.
    It is eventually up to you to display it or not, or only part of it.
    Apparently, CCLI never sued anybody because of not complying to their recommended footer content, especially if one has a valid CCLI licence.
    The song title is more than enough for the people who are singing it.

Similarly, free worship software should not force users to display information that they don't want to display.

See also a radical article against CCLI :
    Your Church Is Not Required To Pay CCLI
    http://www.yhvh.name/?w=1115

• Similarly, free worship software should not force users to display information that they don't want to display.

I'm a little confused as to how you've come to this conclusion? Folk who write free software in their spare time can make it do whatever they want! Whilst yes we obviously hope others find it useful, we don't force anyone to use it. Also anyone can take a copy of the source code and tweak it to do whatever they want, as long as they abide by the GPL.

Whilst yes it might not be black and white regarding what CCLI wants us to do, and what they can legally force us do, we've made the decision that our software should abide by their rules. 

• Fair enough, thanks for making things clear. You can google my name.
  • And at the end of the day, while not endorsed, it is very easy to get it to not show up on screen. 
  • The other part of this, suppose your a visitor to the church, you hear a song, you would like to know who it was written by, so you can look up other works by the same artist.  With most screens your main font is something like a A 50pt font, the footer is something like 18pt, that's not going to be intrusive.  You could make it a 12pt and still have it basically readable. 
  • "CCLI obviously recommends, as strongly as they can, to display some of the song metadata.
    However, CCLI wont, and cannot force you, to display this information if you don't want to.
    It is eventually up to you to display it or not, or only part of it.
    Apparently, CCLI never sued anybody because of not complying to their recommended footer content, especially if one has a valid CCLI licence.
    The song title is more than enough for the people who are singing it."

I think CCLI is very forthcoming about what they believe you need permission for. I don't think they try to mislead anyone as some of those articles suggest. But forget about CCLI entirely and see what you are left with. 

As a Christian I believe we are obligated to follow the law as long as it doesn't infringe on our moral beliefs. That means we need to be diligent in knowing what is required of us with regard to the International Copyright Law. You can't just say you don't think it applies to you without doing due diligence to learn what the law actually requires. A couple of articles of opinion found on the internet just won't do it. It also makes no difference if someone has ever been sued or not in the past. (The lawsuit won't come from CCLI anyway. It will come from copyright holders, most likely those holders who have large catalogues.) As Christians we should do what is right, not what we can get away with.