SongPro import

edited September 17 in General Support
Version of OpenLP
2_4_1 - 2_4_5
Operating system
Windows 7
Setting up a trial of OpenLP as a potential replacement for SongPro.

Would be nice to be able to import songs from SP to OpenLP - but the only VBscript I found on the forums bails out rather than importing anything.
Is there a recommended method of doing the import???

(The method I found: https://forums.openlp.org/discussion/528/songpro-migration)

Comments

• Erm - how did I miss that?

Although it suggests that the SP export format is txt, when mine is sdb (a renamed access dB)
    And then bails with the following:

(Do more recent versions of SP export in a different format?)

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/Users/raoul/Projects/OpenLP/OpenLP-2.2.1/openlp/core/ui/wizard.py", line 216, in on_current_id_changed
      File "/Users/raoul/Projects/OpenLP/OpenLP-2.2.1/openlp/plugins/songs/forms/songimportform.py", line 348, in perform_wizard
      File "/Users/raoul/Projects/OpenLP/OpenLP-2.2.1/openlp/plugins/songs/lib/importers/songpro.py", line 79, in do_import
      File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xb5 in position 24: ordinal not in range(128)
  • @XAPBob I recommend you upgrade to OpenLP 2.4.6. Also, yes, SongPro has a text export type (I don't know exactly how to do it, I never wrote the SongPro import, I just remember it needed to be exported), the Access DB won't work. Maybe there's an option somewhere in the export process?
  • I just went to their website. I think the importer was written for SongPro 4, and I'm guessing you are using version 5?. Are there any other export options?
  • I shall look again at the export - it's a pretty old version of SongPro...

I grabbed 2.2. on the basis of the warning on the download page which links to:
    https://openlp.org/blog/2016/02/14/openlp-24-released

I've just noticed that that was February - and then noticed, when pasting it here, that it was Feb 2016!
    Are the warnings no longer needed?
  • Only if you're encountering any of the issues mentioned in the blog post. Version 2.2 is no longer maintained, we just "support" it because some people had trouble with transparent backgrounds. Version 2.4.6 has a whole host of bug fixes that will not be backported to 2.2, so I recommend using 2.4.6 unless you have a very specific reason for using 2.2.
  • Ok, it's mature enough and the issues probably rare enough that I should be fine...
  • edited September 21
    Thanks Raoul

For those following... (including me in 6 months time...)

SongPro5 has a text file export option, so I downloaded a Win7 OVA from Microsoft, and installed SP5 on that - let it upgrade a copy of the SP4 database (the only export option there), and then ran a text export of the whole library. (Let's skip over the number of times it crashed doing this)...

That then imported cleanly (by the look of it) into my test OpenLP installation.
    Note that you may want to run duplicate checking afterwards (and that isn't a rapid process - but it does do an explicit check before deleting each song, I've not actually gone through to see what it shows you before each deletion).
  • Nothing worse than a hanging question...   :)